Broken Upright Back Check Wires

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 05:11:11 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: Broken Upright Back Check Wires

Dean May said: "Can't you drive it out from the bottom?

Dean,
Upright backcheck wires are threaded on both ends. Also the hole that they
are inserted into is not all the way through. If I were to calc the angle
and drill from the other side, I would more than likely get pretty close to
the other end, BUT, driving out the Threaded rod would really tear up the
wippen, IMO.
To Ron N. : You are such a helpful fellow!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

    Most of the upright b.c. wires I've seen, including new ones from
Schaff, have splines on the end that goes into the wippen.  I've encountered
some that had more of a spade shape (like grand wires).  Bridle wires,
however, are threaded.
      When b.c. wires break off at the surface of the wood, I've used your
method of drilling up from the bottom, clamping the wippen in a vise so it
can't split out too badly, if at all, then driving the stub out with a
punch.  Then I drill a hole through the side of the wippen, and insert a
piece of hammer shank with the grain oriented optimally for the new wire to
be driven into.
    That's in the shop.  In the home, I usually just drill another hole
close to the old one and drive in a new back check.  I'll clamp the wippen
with a vise grips first to lessen the possibility of splitting it.
    This thread came up earlier in the summer.        --David Nereson, RPT