heavy touch

Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:02:53 +0100

Jack Houweling wrote:

> Thanks for the info on regulating and cleaning and lubing actions but,
> I still would like to know does the touch ease up at all with just
> playing on a piano that has not been played for ten years?
>
> Jack Houweling

Bout the only thing about touch <<heavyness>> that is variable in this
sense is friction.  A piano that hasnt been played in a while can
feasably have ....ahhh... shall we say "stiff joints"... :)  like my
knees every morning as it were.   A bit of moving around loosens some of
that up, and some of the apparent  <<weight>> of the action dissapears.

We do this all the time really when we lubricate action centers and key
bushings.... lowering friction lowers Downweight.  Downweight.  Balance
weight should not change mind you, and its a good idea to be familiar
with the difference between the two.

Cheers
RicB