Lower front weight first?

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:20:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Richard,

Thanks for a reply all the way from Norway!

This piano is a Hamburg Steinway D.  I had read (in an
article by David Stanwood) that a 5.5 ratio was best
or perhaps normal for a Hamburg D.  But can that ratio
vary from piano to piano as this one may be
indicating?  I agree with you that the numbers I gave
did lean more toward a 5.7 and the numbers had been
rounded down to the nearest 1 decimal pt.

If I understand the procedure you're suggesting then I
will proceed as follows:
1. Adjust the strike weight for each hammer to the
weights listed in the number 9 curve.
2. Adjust the front weights to not exceed the
maximums. (Or should they even be given a margin
slightly below the maximum?) Should this improve the
BW and get it to the desired 38?
3. Calculate the resultant Strike weight ratios.
4. Adjust  ratios as necessary by change/shimming of
fulcrum point near balance rail. Should every note
have a 5.7 ratio or can there be slight variance on
some notes. When you talked about knuckle angle are
you talking about regulation of the jack to knuckle
position?  If so, are you saying that this can affect
the swr?
5. Deal with friction problems.

Basically your instructions seemed clear, just a few
questions remain as listed above.

Have a good day!

Bob Hull

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>