heavy touch

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:57:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jack,

My experience has been that a piano that has not been
played for a number of years may be sluggish at first.
 Some of this sluggishness may clear up with playing,
but if the touch is just heavy, I don't likely to be
due to not being played.
Heavy touch is more an issue of things like damper
timing, key leading, regulation, tight key bushings,
tight hammer flange pinning/bushing, etc.  It is good
to just begin going down a list of possibilities for
why and check each one to find the cause.  Sometimes
you can just feel in your finger where the problem is.