Lower front weight first?

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:01:11 +0100

Hi Bob

You dont really leave us much to go on here to offer any real advice.
One of the great assets of Stanwoods method is the whole slew of terms
and definitions that allow us to easily converse about and understand
any given touchweight situation. You mention a 5.5 ratio as an optimal,
and that you are having problems dealing with appropriate Frontweights
for a given Strikeweight curve.. without mentioning what that curve is.

To begin with... A 5.5 ratio will yield a number 10 (if I remember
right) curve assuming a 9.0 whippen radius weight and a 38 gram BW.
This will also yeild the maximum Front weights published in the Stanwood
kit.

 From that perspective... it doesnt really matter which you do first..
All that matters is that you do your diagnostics right and arrive at the
correct Balance Weight Ratio... (SWR).

The point is... when you know your Ratio, have decided upon your desired
BW... the rest is more or less given.  You can juggle SW curves if you
want... but Stanwood suggests given SW curves for each Ratio and BW...
tho you dont see that on most of the Smart Charts published.

If you give us some more specifics, perhaps we can offer better advice.

Cheers
RicB

Bob Hull wrote:

>These are questions about component touchweight
>balancing with the SmartChartTM.
>
>I have put new hammers on an action and I'm working on
>getting the strike weight smoothed. There are a good
>many keys that exceed the front weight ceiling. The
>leading doesn't "look" excessive like some leading
>I've seen before.
>
>A strike weight ratio of 5.5 is what I understand to
>be best for this piano.

why... specifically ?