Lower front weight first?

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 02:22:00 -0400

At 9:57 PM -0700 9/6/04, Bob Hull wrote:
>It isn't clear to me how you select the best strike
>weight for a particular piano.  On this action for
>instance the sw of the new #1 hammer is 12.1 which I
>think may be a little light for a 9'.

Two ways to judge what's an appropriate SW. 1.) whether it's properly
matched for the overall action leverage ratio (determined for the
most part by the Key ratio and the hammershank knuckle mounting
distance). 2.) by sound, for a given situation. There are plenty
folks on the list who would like to see a higher #1 SW on a Stwy D.

>Also, are friction weights above 10 or 11 too high?

Check out David Stanwood's careful explanation of this matter on "Re:
Pinning on new flanges" on 8/26/04. Also get use to referring to
friction as a force. Weight, the gravitational attraction between two
masses, is also a force. Of course the force of friction is in part,
a function of the pressure of the contact between two sliding
surfaces, and that pressure is a matter (if nothing else, of their
gravitational attraction. But friction's final concern is with how
smoothly or stickily two surfaces slide against each other, and this
should be thought of as a force, not a weight.