an odd situation

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:53:27 +0200

Hi Ron,

I am aware of that and I was surprised myself to find out that one of=20
the their oldest techs in the regulation department instructed me to9=20
forget about the shallow dip and immediately start with 10 mm.
The funny thing however is that most piano's out of the can have a too=20=

shallow dip, although I suspect that has to do with the humidity=20
changes during shipping.

friendly greetings,

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 7-sep-04, at 0:39, Overs Pianos wrote:

> At 12:07 AM +0200 7/9/04, antares wrote:
> . . . A Steinway D has, according to the Steinway Service manual=20
> (written by Mr Max Matthias) a key dip of 9.75 mm, but all smaller=20
> models (S-B) have a shallower key dip of 9.50 mm.
>
> Hi Andr=E9,
>
> I've heard this quoted many times and read the myth also, but the=20
> Hamburg D's at least are certainly set up with more than 10 mm dip=20
> (the very latest instruments may be an exception, I don't know since I=20=

> haven't regulated any - anyone out there with a comment?). In the=20
> early 90's I watched a Hamburg tech, Martin Bagg, set up a D with at=20=

> least 10.5 mm dip while using a 9.8 mm gauge block. I find it most=20
> surprising that a piano manufacturer, which regards itself as=20
> fastidious, would publish figures and sell matching gauge blocks,=20
> while setting their pianos quite differently.
>
> For those who are interested, our new I-rib sound board was glued into=20=

> the Wangaratta Stein D case yesterday. I'll post with further=20
> information once I get more images online.
>
> Best,
> Ron O.
> --
>
> OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY