an odd situation

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:07:04 +0200

On 6-sep-04, at 22:23, Joe Garrett wrote:

> RicB,
> Why do you insist on 10mm dip? IMO, aftertouch should be the ultimate=20=

> criteria. So what if the dip is 9mm? Seems like a no brainer, to me.=20=

> If everything else is functioning properly and you don't get bobbling=20=

> with a shallower dip....go for it. Many pianists dislike a dip at=20
> 10mm. Some prefer it as shallow as is feasible. Speed will increase,=20=

> but power will suffer, slightly. Most Yamamas could use a bit less=20
> "power", IMHO!<G>
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

Joe,

Of course after touch is extremely important, but it is based on the=20
basics of da regulation.
First we regulate according to the rules. It is way to bring all the=20
levers etc into position, so to speak.
To get them into position, we need certain rules or criteria. Most=20
modern piano's are designed to play best with a key dip of 10 mm. The=20
10 mm will generate a striking distance of =B1 45-48 mm or an equation =
of=20
approximately 1: 5
Most pianists like a key dip of 10 mm. There are exceptions, of course,=20=

but in that case they usually want a more shallow key dip. A bigger key=20=

dip means more work which nobody really wants. With a 10 mm key dip you=20=

can basically break the crystal. A Steinway D has, according to the=20
Steinway Service manual (written by Mr Max Matthias) a key dip of 9.75=20=

mm, but all smaller models (S-B) have a shallower key dip of 9.50 mm.=20
There are other cases with deviations like Pleyel and Bl=FCthner.
Generally speaking, 'most' piano makers want their instruments to play=20=

at a key depth of 10 mm.
We have had this discussion before and Richard then pointed out that=20
there are exceptions to da rule.
However, if you want your piano to play at for instance11 mm, you will=20=

have a problem making the proper after touch of around 0.5 mm because=20
you will have to lower your hammer almost to the ground, so to speak.
One can also turn it around : A .05 mm after touch generally speaking=20
calls for a striking distance between 45-48 mm (depending on the kind=20
of piano) and thus a key dip of 10 mm.
But again.... exceptions are the rule.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...