An odd situation

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:39:38 +0200

On 5-sep-04, at 22:33, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Hi folks

YO!

> Ran into a new one for me.  Fairly new Yamaha C6.. due for its first=20=

> main service... overdue really but somebody has to pay for this=20
> stuff... Anways... started off with checking key height... 64 mm ok...=20=

> made sure of the bedding... ok... set blow to 47... 1 mm deeper then=20=

> spec but I find this usually leaves about the right amount of=20
> aftertouch.... ok...  Did the letoff... 3 mm bass, tenor started at=20
> 2.5 and tapered to just under 2 at the top... ...
>
> Started noticing something wasnt really quite right....lots and lots=20=

> of after touch... .. Checked key dip and it was SHALLOW for most of=20
> the bass, and just a bit deep from about middle C upward...
>
> So I double checked everything I'd done so far.... and decided to go=20=

> ahead with 10 mm key dip and see where things took me.
>
> Anyways... I got done with the whole routine and found I still had too=20=

> much letoff.... big bump.  So I started to increase blow to 48 and=20
> found I couldnt get any deeper.  The shank cushion stopped the hammers=20=

> at 48 - 49 mm !
>
> So... in the end.. I had 48+ mm blow, standard Yamaha spec letoff and=20=

> drop, 10 mm dip,  64 mm key height and too much aftertouch with no=20
> real way of getting less.  Ok.. I could have fudged a bit on let=20
> off... but a few tests didnt really get me where I wanted... I would=20=

> have had to go with about 2 mm in the bass... 1 mm in the treble, and=20=

> a 9.5 key dip to get the aftertouch down to where I usually like it...=20=

> which is by no means too little.
>
> Anyone got an idea as to what could be wrong here ??
>
> Cheer
> RicB

There is nothing wrong oh great Brekne....
Do the following (and not too much please) :

First check the distance(s) between the center pin of the hammer flange=20=

and the wippen flange. This distance should be 112,5 mm. For reverence,=20=

look at page 147 in your Yamaha "Basic Piano Technology" book.
As was taught to you, make doubly sure that your key height is 64 mm=20
and that the frame is ok if you know what I mean.
Set your key dip at 10 mm exactly (you by now should know exactly how=20
persistent our Nippon friends are about a key dip of 10 mm sharp,=20
remember?)
Make a let off in the bass of 2 mm and in the whole treble of 1,5 mm=20
(and be very exact about this, making an exact let off is not easy at=20
your age hehehehehe).
This let off is not even a concert let off, so be double sure that 2 mm=20=

is 2 mm and 1,5 mm is 1,5 mm.
This configuration should give you a healthy striking distance of=20
around 47 mm. Again, in your Yamaha "Basic Piano Technology" book it=20
says : 48 mm + 0 mm or - 2 mm, so 47 mm is a temporary 'so so=20
distance'.
After having done all that, first finish the 'basic' regulation. You=20
perfectly know how to do that.
When you're done with this, make your after touch and re-do your=20
striking distance the way I showed this in your lovely town.
It might very well be possible that this C6 is one of those 'monsters',=20=

by which I mean to say that  you have a 'lucky action'. If that is the=20=

case, you may have a perfect 10 mm key dip and a huge striking=20
distance, meaning that this C6 is capable of becoming a kind of=20
'concert animal' in regard to tonal / dynamical output.
oh, and indeed, if the hammer cushions are too high, take your voicing=20=

tool, stick da needles 2 mm inside the cushion 2 from the top, and with=20=

a pliers rip off the 2 mm cushion felt. That will give you ample space=20=

for your hammer blow.
Have fun............

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...