An odd situation

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:43:01 EDT

<< >> So... in  the end.. I had 48+ mm blow, standard Yamaha spec letoff and

>> drop, 10 mm  dip,  64 mm key height and too much aftertouch with no real

>> way of  getting less.  Ok.. I could have fudged a bit on let off... but a

>> few  tests didnt really get me where I wanted... I would have had to go

>> with  about 2 mm in the bass... 1 mm in the treble, and a 9.5 key dip to

>> get the  aftertouch down to where I usually like it... which is by no

>> means too  little.

>> Anyone got an idea as to what could be wrong here  ?? >>

Too much aftertouch?  Then there is either too little blow, too little
leverage in the action, too much let-off, or too much keydip.  There isn't much
beyond those factors with which to alter aftertouch.
   If your weights are good, then the problem will be dimensions.  I would
increase the blow distance as far as possible, reduce the let-off as much as is
safe, bring the keydip to its minimum, and then, take a close look at the
hammer rest felt.  Sometimes, it can be reduced to allow a longer blow distance.
   Failing all that,  take a close look at the whippen rail.  If the tails of
the jacks, and the drop pad can stand it, you may move the rail distally to
lengthen the overall ratio.  Make sure that you can lower the capstan screws to
accomadate this change,(the hammer will rise significantly when you move the
rail),  and also, make sure that there is enough room at the back of the
jack's window in the balancier when the hammer is held in check.
   Yamaha's don't usually exhibit this kind of problem, but there is only a
few things that can cause it.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT