HURRICANE emergency..........

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 06:39:25 -0700

Hi, Dean,

At 05:16 AM 9/5/2004, you wrote:
>Most regular gas hot water heaters I am aware of are non electric. There
>are no solenoids.

I think what Joe is referring to is the over-temp regulators, which (at
least in CA) tend to be thermocouple controlled.  Basically, if the
temperature in the tank exceeds whatever the limit is (factory) set to, the
unit shuts off...great, until it malfunctions.

>  It's the newer high efficiency water heaters that are electric.

There are also "instant" gas ones, as well, which now meet the building
codes in most areas.  If you have gas (natural, LP, etc), they are often
much more economical than the electric models.

Best.

Horace