Back rail and key leads

Paul Chick paulchick@myclearwave.net
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:45:01 -0500

Vladan said:

*******
Hello Paul,

Regarding the first item, you haven't told us what
makes you suspicious that the back rail felt and the
front punchings are not proper for this action?

Regarding the weight, you now have a very low
friction, only about 7 grams, so before proceeding
with the weight issue, we should clarify that.  Your
balance weight is only  23 g, which tells me that
either the hammers are about 2g short on weight, or
somebody has added too much lead to the keysticks.

I don't think the back rail cloth thickness is related
to the weight problem.

Best regards,

Vladan
*******

Thanks for the reply Vladan.  It is nice to share my thoughts with someone
else.

Regarding the backrail cloth....
There should be a straight line from the bottom of the key at the balance
rail pin to the center pin of the wippon where, when the key is depressed
half way, the top of the capstan should be.  I get that on 88, but not on 1.
On 1 the key would have to be more than fully depressed for the capstan to
make this line.  And it tapers up to 88.  If nothing else, shouldn't there
be some consistancy?  Or, doesn't this matter?  Are the capstans in the
wrong place?

Because of this, I'm wondering if there was some compensation somewhere else
(like excessive leading) to make up for this.

Regarding the weight....
I assume that the 7 grams you are referring to is an estimate of the amount
to move the new parts, correct?  And.... Doesn't it make sense to maintain
the existing hammer weight and reduce the weight in the key to increase the
down weight and corresponding up weight reducing the overall inertia of the
action?

Paul.