Balance rail felt

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 06:30:52 +0200

Hello,

Nice site indeed !

Steinway Hamburg punchings are white and  very thin (1mm but I have to
measure them  to be sure, may be less).
On the other hand Yamaha punchings are thicker and firm enough, indeed they
adbsorb more action noise . The energy is probably only delayed, but
stability longer to attain, and the touch is more fuzzy.

Isaac OLEG

 -----Message d'origine-----
De : Horace Greeley [mailto:hgreeley@stanford.edu]
Envoye : vendredi 3 septembre 2004 08:10
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Balance rail felt

Jurgen,

At 11:04 PM 9/2/2004, you wrote:

  I  have never understood the use of thick (up to 1/8") balance rail
puncings in North American pianos. The thicker the punching, I believe, the
more problems you have with  unstable regulation - key level, key dip, blow
distance (on grands) etc.  Not to mention the loss of power as the punching
compresses under the force of a note being played ff or fff.

  European pianos almost always have thin balance rail punchings.   The
preferred punchings are made out of 1.1 mm (.044") bushing cloth.  See my
web site:

  http://www.pianofortesupply.com/felt2.html

  In cases where these are not thick enough, thick paper punchings are used
to bring the key up to the proper height.
  A good rule to follow when levelling keys is to use no more than four
paper punchings, with no more than two of the same thickness.

Yes to all of the above, especially the last bit...makes for much greater
stability.

The thick BR punchings came into use not only because they were (supposed to
be) faster (in that, if too high, they could easily be compressed); but
also, and in some settings, more importantly, because that location was
perceived as being a source of too much noise with thinner punchings.  No, I
know it doesn't really hold any water...but, that was the reasoning.

Nice site, by the way!  Thanks!

Best.

Horace

  Jurgen Goering