Balance rail felt

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:04:40 -0700

I  have never understood the use of thick (up to 1/8") balance rail
puncings in North American pianos. The thicker the punching, I believe,
the more problems you have with  unstable regulation - key level, key
dip, blow distance (on grands) etc.  Not to mention the loss of power as
the punching compresses under the force of a note being played ff or fff.

European pianos almost always have thin balance rail punchings.   The
preferred punchings are made out of 1.1 mm (.044") bushing cloth.  See
my web site:

http://www.pianofortesupply.com/felt2.html

In cases where these are not thick enough, thick paper punchings are
used to bring the key up to the proper height.
A good rule to follow when levelling keys is to use no more than four
paper punchings, with no more than two of the same thickness.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply