Hall projection (was Re: Big Hammers)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:11:39 +0200

Do you mean you really propose for concerts pianos mounted on those
trucks ? or is it only for shows ?

And nobody complaining about the flex of the assembly before ?

You got me .... wondering what goes on there, really. Understand
better why nobody pay attention to the casters.

Grounding the piano is well sayng it nowadays.

Best and we count on you .

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Nichols [mailto:nicho@zianet.com]
Envoye : mercredi 1 septembre 2004 21:55
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Hall projection (was Re: Big Hammers)

At 06:38 AM 9/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>At 9:24 PM -0600 8/30/04, Nichols wrote:
>>...  Also, is the piano "grounded"? Big halls laugh at pianos on
flexing,
>>rubber-wheeled springs. A couple of blocks for under the front work
wonders.

>I couldn't help but notice this idea, Guy.
>
>Just where under the front are these blocks placed?
>
>Keith

Slip the blocks under the steel ..... arm?.foot?... flange? thinghy
that
supports the leg. Right where the castor would be. That's where the
flex
is, when you push down on the keys. A 2X4 like you would use for stage
truck installation is fine, painted black. I've experimented with
smaller
blocks, made of pinblock material, and covered in player cloth. They
work
also, but the taper has to be very close with a smaller block. With a
slightly larger block, it's easier to lift a hair and kick the block
under.
The main thing is to have blocks that the stage crew won't loose every
performance. If the block is only supporting the nut, or bolt head
that
protrudes from the bottom, it will soon develop a divot. Not bad, but
it
can quickly reach a point where it appears to be supporting but may
not be.
So.... support the flange itself, not the nut/bolt. Make sense?

Try it, you'll like it, guaranteed.
Later,
Guy