You and you alone

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:57:07 -0500

Boys, boys, this is uglier than talking about religion. One of you needs to
stop. It will be the one with the stronger character who does. (oops,
getting religion into it again.)

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of David Andersen
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 4:41 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: You and you alone

> Fair enough?

No. Not hardly.

> My best wishes to you.....

Yeah, right.

> David Andersen
>
> P.S. Why did it take an angry post for you to reveal your involvement with
> SAMA?
> Or have I missed something in the past?

Oh, I'd say something got missed. But, according to Mr. Andersen, it's up to
the rest of the world to make sure he doesn't miss anything.

Regards,
Guy Nichols

...... ten....... eleven........ TWE..

Now you HAVE made it a pissing contest, and you're the fool. Just couldn't
keep your emotions out of this, could you? Again, IF YOU HAVE MENTIONED YOUR
INVOLVEMENT BEFORE WITH SAMA AND I MISSED IT, TELL ME. But don't use sarcasm
and innuendo to make your point.  It's immature, and the hiding place of
weak humans. You made a big deal of humanizing yourself, inviting me to
dialog with you privately, and then stomping on me, defaming me in public.

It's simple.  Now we're engaged.  You bring one of your pianos somewhere
where other techs can see & play it, and I'll bring one of mine to the same
place, and we'll see whose telling the truth or not; we'll see who's doing
work they're proud of.  You want a war, then we can have a war.  I was, at
first, merely supporting my friend, colleague, and restoration partner Dale
Erwin, and additionally truthfully reporting on the horribly redone pianos
I'd seen from "Juarez." You made it personal; you operated from the first
moment as if what was said was a personal attack, which is bullshit, Guy.
I didn't KNOW you or anybody else on the list was involved with this kind of
work. Lesson for me: be careful how you tell the truth.  And the truth is
your pianos have a bad reputation "on the streets." If you want to deny
that, fine. Better, IMO, would be to be honest, acknowledge the reputation,
and work to change people's perceptions.  The way to do that, IMO, is to
SHOW YOUR PIANOS TO THE DIFFERENCE-MAKERS: THE PIANO TECHS.
You seem to be reluctant to do that. And you seem to freak out and become
enraged anytime it comes up. Me coming to the factory is one thing.  When
I'm with you, at your factory, with you buying me lunch, what do you think
I'm gonna say?  "Your pianos suck?" The real test of a real craftsman would
be in a public venue with other people, techs and players, around to react
and discuss and dissect, not some controlled "photo op" scenario.

You want to continue, we'll continue. I have no interest in you being wrong.
I have a big interest in vintage Steinway pianos being restored properly.
Period.  And I have a big problem with anybody trying to bend reality to
their will. A+ work is A+ work where pianos are concerned; all the proof is
in the tone and touch. Just be honest: what grade of work is the factory
doing? That's all and I mean ALL it will take for me to be satisfied.
As long as you imply a level of craft and are defensive when anyone even
THINKS about challenging that level, we will be engaged.

You didn't really count to 12.  You didn't really think through the
consequences of your reactions.  That was foolish.

David Andersen