Big hammers

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:33:55 -0500

Horace,

Great advice as usual.  The piano was made in 1975.  Those backcheck =
wires certainly have had a going over!

As always, thank you.

Barbara

From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@stanford.edu>
Date: August 31, 2004 10:20:40 PM CDT
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Big hammers

Hi,=20

At 07:10 PM 8/31/2004, you wrote:

I guess I'm showing my ignorance but what are you talking about?

I'm not sure, Avery.  From the few that we can see, these actually look =
like pretty workable hammers, to me....I've certainly seen much, much =
worse in day-to-day use on concert instruments in "name" venues.

Barb - I would be more concerned about overall action geometry that the =
size of the hammers at this point.  Those knuckles look a bit close to =
the flange pin.  Also, looking at the backchecks, this is a pre-'87 =
instrument (for _me_, this is a GOOD THING!...largely because of the =
significantly larger range of regulation possible...long subject and I =
am not looking to start a discussion)...being of that vintage, you are =
also going to want to check not only action spread, but also deck height =
from the keybed to the CP of each of the whippen and hammer flanges.  =
Try to carefully assess what was actually done at the factory, and what =
has been done since then...looking especially to see if there has been a =
change in the material under the back rail cloth.  Usually, this would =
have had a layer of red key felt, often on top of one or (sometimes, but =
not often) two layers of what amounts to manila card stock (this latter =
usually dark brown in color).  Also, check to see when/if anyone has =
replaced the balance rail pivots; and/or the front rail (felt) =
punchings.  etc.

In other words, before doing _anything_ try to get a very solid idea of =
what it is you are looking at.  Then, work backwards.  As someone =
(Andre?  Isaac? sorry) noted, sometimes (even often) "just" a good, =
solid regulation will do more for tone and projection than even many =
technicians will believe.

So, after all that, those look like S&S hammers; and, from what little =
can be seen of them, they look as if they are fairly well molded and =
shaped...so, look elsewhere before simply throwing them out and starting =
elsewhere.

Best.

Horace