Seeing things, Was: RE: Big hammers

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:06:41 -0500

At 07:52 9/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >>The knuckle core seems to be very much t ilted towards the hammer...
>which changes the shank ratio from the intended one, in this case
>increaseing the leverage of the shank.
>
>Cheers
>RicB
>

>Thanks for explanation, Ric. Avery wasn't the only one that didn't get it.
>
>You know, this happens quite a bit when a comment is made that goes over a
>lot of heads. I'm not intending to pick on Ric here. Let's remember that the
>audience on this list is pretty big, lots of people reading that don't have
>the experience of many of you guys. Please be careful to not assume too
>much, especially when it would take just another sentence or two (like in
>this case) to more fully explain.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dean

Chicken!!  I'll have to pick on Ric, then.

The subject of the picture was supposed to be the visual appearance of the
hammers,  so the natural inclination is to just look at the hammers.

The other consideration of the thread was weight, and since RicB does a lot
of Stanwood calculations he would be more likely to look at _everything_
which affects "weight" including the effective knuckle (dis)placement and
it's effect on leverage, etc., etc.

Kinda like Where's Waldo, huh, Ric?

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder