Big hammers

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:12:16 +0100

Jenneetah wrote:

> At 7:44 AM +0100 9/1/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>
>> The knuckle core seems to be very much t ilted towards the hammer...
>> which changes the shank ratio from the intended one, in this case
>> increaseing the leverage of the shank.
>

> What ever its positive effect on shank ratio, it weakens the knuckle
> core as a structural element. The jack's thrust is no longer being
> received by something mounted normal to the shank, and this situation
> over grows worse.

He he... I dont think I said increasing the shanks leverage was a
positive thing.... It should be what it should be... tilting it forward
is a classic slop mistake.

That said.. maybe the photograph just plane gives a erroneous view of
the situation.

> It also confuses technician who continue to use it as a guideline for
> setting jack position under the knuckle. As the jack is being set to
> something other than normal, it is being pulled away from the normal
> line of force. Ric, you spotted right off the un-square knuckle core.
> The jack which is sitting well behind the knuckle's center could
> easily have been put there by a technician using the core as a guideline.

Agreed... and this is just one of several problems this kind of thing
can incur.  It introduces a whole bunch of touchweight
inconsistancies... as one simply has to believe any angling of the
knuckle is more the result of random error then purposeful design.