Over sharp treble

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:53:53 -0600

Ron:
I've noticed this too.  Many years ago an audiologist friend and=
 I were going to do some testing.  We wanted to test the hearing=
 of some musicians and piano technicians and also test their=
 perception of an octave.  Play a tone of say 880hz and have them=
 set the octave on an electronic oscillator.  Both tones would=
 never play simultaneously so they couldn't tune by eliminating=
 beats but would have to tune the octave melodically.  We'd have=
 them tune maybe 5 different octaves that way.  Our object was to=
 have been to establish the relationship between upper hearing=
 loss and the amount they stretched their octaves.  Sadly, we=
 never got around to conducting the research.  He was a busy=
 audiologist, I was a busy technician..........
dave

Several years ago when I was tuning for a lot of professional=
 musicians, I noticed that the hearing trauma level of clients is=
 proportional to their desire for more treble stretch (symptoms=
 which give away the level of someone's trauma level include -=
 can't hear conversation at parties - client requests voicing=
 levels which are unusually bright - can't tune with a vacuum=
 cleaner going in the same room -  can't tune with air=
 conditioning background noise).

Similarly, I've noticed that many senior technicians tune the=
 high treble way high. One 'tuner', who has thankfully since=
 retired, was quite fond of pulling top C up to the E fl above.=
 As our hearing rolls off as we age, we prefer the treble stretch=
 to be wider. I don't know why, but its a conclusion I've drawn,=
 tuning from 22 years of age to 51.

Speaking of deteriorating faculties, just as an aside.

In my home town out west from Sydney 350 miles, an elderly (80+)=
 man visited the local GP recently and complained about his aches=
 and pains and the difficulty he was having pushing the lawn=
 mower. The young GP, who is well known for her sense of humour=
 replied, "don't complain ****, most blokes your age are pushing=
 up daisies not cutting them off".

Ron O.
--