Voicing

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:37:59 -0600

Barbara:

Do you voice the piano with or without the owner's ideas?  When I=
 was still doing in-home tuning, I never voiced a piano unless=
 the owner said something about the sound.  On extreme pianos I'd=
 ask them if they like the sound and let the conversation go from=
 there, but just voicing without their saying anything usually=
 bit me in an inappropriate place!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@mail.smu.edu

From: Barbara Richmond <piano57@flash.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Voicing

Joe,

Yeah, yeah, yeah--I was taught those things, too.  This may come=
 as a shock to some folks, but there *are* times when it's OK to=
 break the rules (a person just has to know when that is).  Trust=
 me, I know when *I* can pre-voice a piano. I'm talking about=
 getting it in the ballpark here using whatever method I know=
 will do the trick.  No amount of regulating, hammer/string=
 matching or tuning (remember, I said the tuning was in the=
 ballpark) is going to rid a piano of that granite sound. =
 Besides, I have found when I walk in and perform a miracle,=
 people are more willing to have me to do the "big job."

Barbara Richmond, RPT