Two-step-wet-out ??????

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:39:38 -0400

IMHO, the only way to apply epoxy when high strength/adhesion is desired.
I'm tellin' ya, if you are going to use epoxy, anyone would really benefit
from studying the WestSystem web site. They have so much excellent guidance
information there. I've read it and many of their how-to manuals over and
over and each time I still pick up something new. From the WestSystem web
site - www.westsystem.com :

Two-step bonding
      1. Wet-out bonding surfaces-Apply a neat resin/hardener mixture
(without fillers) to the surfaces to be joined (Figure 9). Wet out small or
tight areas with a disposable brush. Wet out larger areas with a foam roller
or by spreading the resin/hardener mixture evenly over the surface with a
plastic spreader. You may proceed with step two immediately or any time
before the wet-out coat reaches the final cure stage.

      2. Apply thickened epoxy to one bonding surface. Modify the
resin/hardener mixture by stirring in the appropriate filler until it
becomes thick enough to bridge any gaps between the mating surfaces and to
prevent "resin-starved" joints. Apply enough of the mixture to one of the
surfaces, so that a small amount will squeeze out when the surfaces are
joined together with a force equivalent to a firm hand grip (Figure 10).

      Thickened epoxy can be applied immediately over the wet-out surface or
any time before the wet-out reaches its final cure. For most small bonding
operations, add the filler to the resin/hardener mixture remaining in the
batch that was used for the wet-out. Mix enough resin/hardener for both
steps. Add the filler quickly after the surface is wet out and allow for a
shorter working life of the mixture.

      3. Clamp components. Attach clamps as necessary to hold the components
in place. Use just enough clamping pressure to squeeze a small amount of the
epoxy mixture from the joint, indicating that the epoxy is making good
contact with both mating surfaces (Figure 11). Avoid using too much clamping
pressure, which can squeeze all of the epoxy mixture out of the joint.

      4. Remove or shape excess adhesive that squeezes out of the joint as
soon as the joint is secured with clamps. A wooden mixing stick with one end
sanded to a chisel edge is an ideal tool for removing the excess (Figure
12).