Soft blows

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:17:28 -0400

At 3:59 PM -0500 10/29/04, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
>My theory is that there is an equilibrium.  When at rest the
>friction is higher than the differential, but when the string is
>struck and the deflection causes the speaking length to increase in
>tension it does not go above the non-sounding tension by more than
>the friction component.  If the differential (±) DOES exceed the
>friction, then the string will move and untune it.

That's the basic mechanical principle, that until the tension
differential on either side of a friction point exceeds the friction
barrier, the wire will stay put.

How, Ron N. is checking my math and its conclusion that the friction
barrier of the capo at C5 on a Steinway B would be 21 lbs, and the
maximum tension spike from a hard blow would be ~3.5 ounces.