Soft blows

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:08:15 -0400

At 9:22 AM -0500 10/27/04, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>What speaking length?

And what strike point? Sorry, Ron. It's C5 (the note not the
plastique), and my notes are buried somewhere in a filing cabinet.
I'll find them on SUN.

In the meantime, I agree with you that movement of string across the
bridge has yet to be entered into the picture. The string friction
across the bridge due to downbearing has got to be on the order of
ounce, just like to test blow (or so I've believed). The tricker part
is the friction due to side-draft. The unknown here is what might be
motivating the string to wedge itself into the corner at the base of
the angled bridge pin. Which I'd guess is several orders of mag
larger than the downbearing friction.

It's actually possible, with a pocket microscope, to see wire move
across the bridge in tiny increments. It might be possible to infer a
friction barrier across the bridge top (combining both aforementioned
types of friction) by correlating a tension drop (inferred from a
itch drop as the tuning hammer pushes wire into the speaking length)
at the point where wire is seen to move across the bridge (ie., the
point at which the tension differential overcomes the friction
barrier). But then you really need to know whether the beginning
tension on the other side of the bridge to judge whether the tension
differential started out at zero, or whether it might have already
been close to the size of the friction barrier, either plus or minus.

To do that really accurately, you'd need a frequency counter, and a
way of activating the back duplex length so that this counter could
successfully read it. Maybe, existing tension could be accurately
measured using a sideways deflection test.

Hey, you brought it up. I think that gets you appointed to he committee.

BTW, you must be one them thar undecideds, I haven't seen you tossing
any termayders or goose eggs.