Bridge string termination

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:41:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>Some time ago, during a discussion of the Stuart bridge string
>>termination (agraffe, if you like),
>>Ron N posted a picture of a termination on an old upright that looked
>>similar.  I believe that I've
>>come across the patent for this termination.  It is No. 907,713 granted
>>to L Avisus on 12-29-1908.
>>
>>Phil Ford
>

>Not exactly like the photo, but pretty darned close! But then things often
>change from the patent drawing to the production model, so that might very
>well be it. Excellent!
>
>Ron N

I was working from memory.  I went back and looked for the photo.  For
those that are interested, here's Ron's post from the archives:

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2003-September/142210.html

I see what you mean.  The patent shows a couple of different
variations.  Neither of them is exactly like the photo.  In the photo, it
looks like the round bearing piece on the speaking length side sits in a
notch and is placed from above.  That looks like it would make it easier to
assemble than the version shown in the patent.  Also, in the photo, there's
no round bearing piece on the backlength side which is shown on one of the
variations in the patent, but not on the other.  Still, pretty close.

By the way, are there other photos of this thing?

Phil Ford