OT Politicals

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:55:37 -0700

<<John Kerry is the prototypical American, who would have found good company
with our nation's founders.  He is the very essence of a patriot.

Peace,
Sarah>>

I truly feel sorry for your gross ignorance and "pie-in-the-sky" naievity. I
hope you take off your blinders soon and face reality.

Peace
Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: &quot;Sarah Fox&quot; &lt;sarah@graphic-fusion.com&gt;
To: &quot;Pianotech&quot; &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: OT Political
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:44:02 -0400

Geez Louise!

Larry, Conrad, etc....

&quot;ANTI-AMERICAN&quot; activities?

&quot;UNPATRIOTIC?&quot;

Just what do you think patriotism is?  Just what do you think it means to be
an American -- a good, loyal American?

Do you think our country was founded by docile sheep, who mindlessly
followed the dictates of King George and paid their tea taxes like good
little subjects?  NO!  Our country and government (like most countries and
governments) was born from a rebellion.  Our founders recognized that their
government was unjust, despite the fact the &quot;law&quot; said otherwise.
This is how our founders explained themselves in a little letter to King
George, with bold facing added for emphasis:

&quot;We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
equal...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these
ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to
institute new Government... But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under
absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such
Government...&quot;

Our founders did not look to the law to know what was wrong and right.
Nobody had to TELL them they were being treated unjustly by Britain.  These
truths were self-evident.  It was therefore the DUTY of these people to
question unjust laws and policies and to rebel against them.  Why was it
their duty?  Very simply, they were morally obligated to correct what they
saw as being wrong with their state of affairs and the state of affairs of
their fellow colonists.  They were morally charged to right what they
believed deeply to be a wrong.  This is what it means to be a patriot -- to
love one's land and people enough to take the risk necessary to improve it.
Patriotism isn't about loving what your government is doing, whether it is
right or wrong.  Patriotism isn't about blindly and unquestioningly
following laws that may or may not be just.  These are the qualities of
sheep, not patriots.

Patriots are people like Rosa Parks, who refused to sit at the back of the
bus, knowing she would probably be arrested for defying authority.  Patriots
are people like the mayors throughout this land who have defied the
&quot;Defense&quot; of Marriage Act and have married gay couples because
they believed the law to be unjust.  Patriots are people like the
&quot;right to choose&quot; activists and the &quot;right to life&quot;
activists, who may be on opposite sides of the issue but both believe
fervently in their cause.  Patriots are the citizen lobbyists who stream
constantly into Washington to try to change laws they feel are unjust.
Patriots are the conscientious objectors who refuse to pick up rifles and
march off to war, opting instead to go to prison if necessary, because they
feel war is wrong.  Patriots are the young men and women who enlist in the
military, putting their lives on the line in service to their country.
Patriots are the Peace Corps volunteers, many/most opposed to war, who often
put their safety on the line in hostile lands in pursuit of American ideals
and for betterment of the world.  Patriots are the Habitats for Humanity
volunteers who put in long, hard hours to elevate the living conditions of
the ever-growing ranks of impoverished countrymen.  Patriots are the people
who run the soup kitchens for their homeless countrymen.

Patriotism isn't simply waving a flag and mindlessly saying, &quot;God bless
America.&quot;  Patriotism isn't showing up at the Fourth of July parades.
Patriotism isn't voting Republican or Democratic.

True patriotism is seldom easy, and it almost never comes without sacrifice.

Certain things are UNpatriotic:  It is UNpatriotic to &quot;vote for one's
pocketbook&quot; (i.e. vote out of self interest), without concern for the
ramifications for larger society.  It is UNpatriotic to break the law for
personal gain.  It is UNpatriotic to lie, cheat, and steal at a cost to the
well-being of one's countrymen.  It is UNpatriotic not to vote.  It is
UNpatriotic not to speak out when you feel something is wrong.  It is
UNpatriotic to blindly obey laws you feel are morally wrong.  It is
UNpatriotic to hold a public office and not use that position to fight like
hell for the betterment of America.  It is UNpatriotic NOT to question
authority.  It is UNpatriotic not to consider the larger implications of any
issue.  It is UNpatriotic not to think.  It is UNpatriotic not to act.  It
is UNpatriotic to be inert -- a &quot;sheep.&quot;

It is UNpatriotic to accuse a person of being UNpatriotic or UN-American for
doing whatever his heart of hearts -- his deepest conscience -- tells him is
the right thing to do.  It is UNpatriotic to accuse someone of being
anti-American, just because he doesn't conform to your point of view.  (How
DARE you?!)

John Kerry is anything but unpatriotic or un-American.  There's more patriot
in that man than we've seen from either major party in a long, long time!
That is the thing that most stands out about him.  He passionately wants to
make this land a better place.  What better thing could one say about the
man?  He's not in it for the money.  He's not in it to be ruler of the
world.  He's not in it for the power trip.  He's in it because he loves
America with all his heart.