The Richard Gertz myth

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:33:03 -0500

>When Ron Nossaman was here in July, he mentioned that sound boards pull in
>when the down bearing pressure is applied.  While a crowned sound board,
>if it had no ribs, would push out, the ribs are much further below the
>cord-line than the sound board panel is above it. So the net result is
>that the sound board will PULL IN.

Hi Ron,
A word of clarification, if I may. It isn't really a net result, since
adding the rib makes it a whole other system. With a rib and panel
assembly, the panel only produces outward thrust when it expands and the
rib is deflected upward. Under bearing load, the panel in a soundboard
never does produce outward thrust as a result of the load. It's exactly
backward from an arch.

>Yesterday I proved this to my satisfaction.

Good job! Progress is being made. Thank you. That makes nearly a half dozen
people on the planet now who realize this for a fact. Onward, ever onward.

I'm very sorry to hear about the D. I know that hurts both financially and
personally. I have no doubt the fix will be much better. Please keep us posted.

Ron N