just one rubber mute, was over-all tuning discussions, was How we hear

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:13:41 -0700

> Dave, when working with one mute in the killer octave section, do you
> find yourself setting the initial pitch slightly sharp, or do you tune
> the pitch in tune and then reset when the unisons come into tune?
>
> Phil Bondi(Fl)

Great question; depends on the piano and how close to pitch it is;
On some pianos, tuning one string, then pulling the other two to it will
cause a significant pitch change to the unison in that section, or any
section.  The biggest "movement factor" usually occurs in the tenor, the
first steel string to where the capo starts, but the phenomenon occurs all
over the piano.  You know, the "Virgil Smith" phenomenon, where a string
WILL move when you bring the two other strings of the unison in tune with
it.

Hey, Phil; hope to meet you in KC this summer.

David Andersen