Perfect Pitch - Conrad, a 40 Regular Please.

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:03:51 -0500

At 07:39 10/29/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Joe Garrett wrote:
>
>>The piano is NOT TUNED PERFECTLY!
>
>>IMO, anyone who espouses to have perfect pitch, actually does not,
>>otherwise they could not stand to listen to tempered intervals.

Hmmm...  is that tuned or tempered...

I'm not afflicted/affected/blessed/endowed with Phil's ability, but I _did_
notice after about 5 or 6 years in the business that I could set A440 purty
dern close without my tuning fork.  It just feels right, I can't explain it.

I suppose that would be PPR - Pavlovian Pitch Recognition, except that I
don't particularly salivate at the time. Mine is definitely a learned
response. I can see that a person with different abilities could have
greater acuity.

I'm not sure what you would call the ability of a blind ear training
classmate who would tell the prof not only what type of chord was being
played,  but which note within it was sharp or flat.  He'd do the
sharp/flat bit on _any_ instrument.

Whatever it was, it made the rest of us jealous and raised the grading
curve... ;-[

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-The only substitute for bad manners is good reflexes.