just one rubber mute, was over-all tuning discussions, was How we hear

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:22:27 -0700

> okay, I want to watch the movement of the rubber mute. How do you tune th=
> whole piano using one rubber mute? From start to finish, please please.

Well....it=B9s pretty simple. I tune A440, then A220 to that, tuning the righ=
string of each note first, then the middle, then the left. I check, usually
with the F3 below, to see that I=B9m on pitch.
Then I go ahead and set the temperament (F3 to F4), putting each note in
relationship with its neighbors,
tuning as I go.  I make small adjustments to the notes through the practice
of =B3shimming=B2 the unisons, or =B3cracking=B2 the unisons: say I=B9ve got 4 notes
of the temperament tuned, and I decide the 2nd note I tuned needs to move a
little. I move one outside string (usually) a slight, slight bit in the
direction I want it to go, then match it with the middle string, and check
where it is.  If I like it, I leave it; if I don=B9t, I move it some more.

 In this way, I complete the temperament, and it is ideal, rock-solid, and
rich. Then I go down to A0, using the same technique; then up to the top of
the piano. The entire piano, each note in its entirety, is showing me and
telling me how to tune it the best, how to make it sing----and I do.

Bill Garlick told me 22 years ago that if you could make a huge improvement
in how a piano sounds and feels in a relatively short period of time, you
were assured of deep respect and a comfortable income for the rest of your
life; how right he was. What an inspiration; thank you, Bill. Whole tone,
open-string tuning is a hugely crucial tool in my armamentarium for creatin=
beauty. Now let=B9s talk about VOICING, the other
most crucial tool.....

Hope this helps....

David Andersen