over-all tuning discussions, was How we hear

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:20:39 -0700

> David Anderson -=20
> Apologies if my original question sounded at all terse; didn't think abou=
t it
> until I saw it in reply-mode. Please bear with me if you've already cover=
ed
> this, as I'm sure I've probably missed some bits of this conversation in
> places until recently. When you say "15 seconds" - could you go into more
> detail? IE, are you listening for 15 seconds to the unison each time you'=
re
> moving the pin until it's in place, or is the 15 seconds the final "test"
> listen?=20

Hey Ilex---I certainly don=B9t listen to every single 2 or 3-note unison for
15 seconds----I should have been clearer: When the unisons are what I call
=B3coupled,=B2 the note picks up the =B3bloom=B2 of the soundboard and actually
sounds or feels like it swells, and there is absolutely no phasing or
movement of any kind until the note dies. It is a priori that the strings
must be seated and lifted properly, and that the speaking length
terminations are solid. Yes, you can hear most of what you need to, most of
the time, within 5-7 seconds.
In actual practice---as with everything else---you get so quick and so good
at moving the pin in teeny increments, and then have it rock-solid where yo=
put it, with whatever settling blow you=B9ve given it---that you move a littl=
quicker, but in a good rhythm. I=B9m tuning as I go, with just one rubber
mute, so everything is pretty clean and precise.

I take what most people would think is a horrifically long time---about 30
minutes---to really ideally, precisely, and firmly set the temperament,
with all 3 strings per note tuned. It takes me from 50-60 minutes to tune
the rest of the piano. Many, many tunings have I done for monster players,
who WILL move the note if it can move, so I=B9m pretty confident of ability t=
produce a stable tuning.

But I=B9m old, and kind of eccentric, and diminished by years of what one
friend has politely called =B3rugged living,=B2 so I belong out in this old
school pasture of has-been Jurassic geezers.
(The above is irony; not intended for less than mature audiences.) <G>

Hope this helps....

David Andersen