Drive Tuning Pins?

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:28:39 -0400

Chris -
How about some derisive comments of support?  Why do you say that
"normally" you would CA'um?  I'm thinking that maybe the appropriate
application of this process has been misunderstood.  CA should be a last
resort, as I see it.  A little more information would allow more specific
response.  For example, do these look like the original pins?  What size
are they?  Would driving them cause any problem in the angle of the string
coming off the tuning pin, in the bass?  Is there any sign of any
separation between block and back?

It's important not to over-drive the pins, as you might then create
excessive torque.  Also, you should be able to tell from the sound and feel
of the hammer hitting the driving punch whether the pins have already
bottomed in the hole. Try a few.  A tool to measure the torque (torque
wrench) is not a bad item to have, but not cheap.  Schaff has one (actually
it's in the Apsco Catalog) and Pianotek has a fancier one.

Sorry, I couldn't work up derision today.

David Skolnik