Drive Tuning Pins?

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:21:22 -0700

Although I use CA from time to time, in cases like this, I prefer
tapping pins in deeper.

Reasons:
1)I feel CA glue doesn't penetrate well if  applied to an  piano
standing up.  Laying a piano on its back is an involved procedure.
2) I don't really like introducing any chemicals into a pin block.  The
effects of chemicals on future re-pinning (which in such a case I
consider almost inevitable at some point down the road) are unknown (at
least by me).
3) I prefer the aural assault of driving the pins (I wear ear
protection) to the  chemical assault to my lungs.
4) If pins are really that high, tapping them in will improve tunability
by reducing flag poling.

A few comments: neither measure will address a cracked pin block, and
driving in pins needs to be done judiciously, of course.  Always make a
test on a few pins before going the whole nine yards...

Jurgen Goering