Drive Tuning Pins?

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

Do you need to lay the piano on it's back with a tilter when you drive in the pins, so as not to chance cracking the block?

Matthew
Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE them puppies! Hammer away!

Sure, why not? It's an old upright that's seen its best days, it's fast, cheap, effective, will last awhile, won't hurt anything - coils are already too high. I'd do it. I've done it! (Not that that means squat.)    ;-)

If it doesn't work, them CA 'em.

Terry Farrell
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Henke
To: Pianotech Listserv
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 12:39 PM
Subject: Drive Tuning Pins?

I've got a customer with loose tuning pins (well, I mean her piano, of course).  It's an old upright piano of nominal value.  Normally I would not drive the tuning pins to correct this, I would do the CA glue thing (unless there are indications of a more serious problem).  But in this case I am considering driving 'em, because:

1) The tuning pins are really high (about 1 inch), and there is lots of room between the coils and the plate.

2) All the pins in the piano seem to have about the same torque.  So that makes me think that I'm not seeing a cracked pinblock problem.

Comments, support, or derision please.

Chris Henke
Portland, Oregon

Matthew Todd