Soft blows

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:21:19 -0500

>Since I started using RCT I noticed this.

I noticed it (aurally) a long time ago when I found the center string pitch
dropping as I pulled the strip mute tuning unisons.

>Oftentimes if I hit an upper
>treble with a couple of hard blows I can see pitch drop 5 to 10 cents before
>I even touch the hammer. On those pianos usually the pin moves quite a bit
>before the pitch changes.

I see this often in capo sections, from octave five up, even in newer
pianos that respond instantly from the tuning pin. This is coming from
behind the bridge, and hammer technique won't touch it. It has to be
whacked.

>I know no other way than hard test blows to
>stabilize those strings. Whack the daylights out of it until the pitch
>stabilizes.

No other practical way, in any case.

>If it doesn't sound good with a soft blow, tune some more.

Once whacked, they should tune reasonably well without further abuse,
unless the strings aren't rendering through the capo and counter bearing bar.

>thought we were supposed to make it sound good whether hit with a hard blow
>or a soft blow.
>
>Dean

Of course, aren't we?

Ron N