Setting Pins in Temperament

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:27:36 -0700

Matthew,

There is no reason to treat the temperament tuning pins any differently
than the rest. However, I do remember Franz Mohr saying that they should
be well pounded. In other words, you should be sure that the basis of
your tuning is stable before you tune the unisons.

I would want to add to your precedure that after tuning sharp and
settling it back down, I like to bring it to slightly below pitch so
that the last motion is to end with a going-sharp motion, to leave it
with a little extra tension in the tuning pin segment, to help oppose a
hard blow. When there is string rust or extra friction for some reason,
if you just bring it down to pitch, you might end up with an unstable
tuning.

A situation where you might need a different approach is where there is
excessive friction in the bearing points and the pins are not so tight
and there you should simply pull it up to pitch and leave it.

Tom Cole