Rebuilding vs. Buying

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:07:10 -0500

Matthew,

Let's take it one step at a time.  First, we explain to the customer why we feel their piano is no longer serviceable.  It's totally within our domain to make that determination, and usually we find that they aren't surprised when we tell them.  Then we help them explore alternatives, and try to guide their decision making.  That's THEIR decision making, based in THEIR priorities and personal taste.  Factors to consider:  what quality of piano do they want to end up with?  Do they have an emotional attachment to this piano?  What size is their budget?  What's the musical potential of their piano if rebuilt, and the cost to do it.  We might discuss several levels of work, from recondition to restore.  What is available in new or used pianos at the target quality level, and within their budget?  How important is furniture appearance?  And so on.

Are you struggling with a specific instance?  If so, explain details and we'll try to assist.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew Todd
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 10/26/2004 12:41:22 PM
Subject: Rebuilding vs. Buying

On what basis do you guys decide it's time for a client to buy another piano, as opposed to saying to them that a good rebuilding job will put their piano in top playing condition again?  What steps do I need to take to make that decision?  What factors with their piano really determine that it would be better to buy a new one rather than rebuild?

Matthew Todd
Todd Piano Works
Piano Tuner/Technician
Tuning - Repairing - Regulating