Soft blows (was How we hear)

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:26:26 -0700

One of the very first basics we learn is that we must set the pin with a
firm blow to equalize the string tension across the friction points. How
does this relate to the current discussion of using rather soft blows to
tune unisons? I *imagine* that you tune with soft blows, then settle the pin
with a hard blow, then listen again with soft blow to ensure the tuning has
not moved? But the hard blow has likely changed the tuning, so ... do you
use soft blows while raising the pitch, then lowering it to a smidgeon
sharp, then apply a firm blow to settle the string into exactly the right
spot? If we avoid hard blows entirely, surely the piano will be immediately
put out of tune by the pianist?

Puzzled in Seattle
| |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |
| | |   | |
Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Quentin Codevelle
  Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 9:32 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: How we hear to Jeneetah

  Hi,

  Maybe you should keep on making soft blows, but try to hit the key
quickly, without listening to the note during 15 sec like you said.
  That way you'll be able to hear the "attack" of the note, the first stage
of the sound that is produced.
  Having a clear and pure sounding attack is very important for me, and I've
never succeeded in having a clear attack when tuning with listening to the
note more than 2 or 3 seconds.

  For me, when I tune, when my attack is clear, the rest is also, and my
unisson has enough "length" most of times.
  I need much concentration right now to make clean unissons on every note
with this technique, that means it takes some time to have a good eveness.
  But since the beginning, you should hear a difference, YOUR sound will be
turning from black to white.

  Andre?

  Quentin.