Aligning sostenuto tabs on a U-3

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:11:56 -0500

Cy,

AB Chase made large uprights with sostenuto as well.  I also ran into an =
older Yamaha U3 with sostenuto a couple days ago.  I was fooled a bit =
initially, as this model had sustain, soft, sostenuto, AND a muffler =
rail.  I didn't notice the sostenuto right away, and assumed that the =
third pedal was for the muffler rail (which was actually controlled by a =
slide mechanism mounted under the keybed - it wasn't a quiet keys BTW, =
and looked as though it might have been original).  Anyway, when I =
played a note rather firmly, the damper stuck on.  When I began to pull =
the action away to find the trouble, it became obvious that the damper =
had become held up by the sostenuto tab catching the rail.

Always surprises.
William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 8:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Aligning sostenuto tabs on a U-3

  Yes, I was surprised, too (why are the damper spoons flat and made of =
rubber?!?).  It was their top-of-the-line upright 20 years ago.  Now =
only the U-5 has sostenuto:
  http://tinyurl.com/5os9g

  They had another high-end upright, with a "W" in the name, that had =
also sostenuto.  Mason Hamlin was the only other brand that surfaced in =
my search of the archives.  Any others that are common to run into?  =
Older S&S perhaps?

  --Cy--
    ----- Original Message -----=20