How We Hear

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:54:57 -0400

At 5:23 PM -0400 10/24/04, Don wrote:
>No, it does not imply the 7th partial is beating.
>
>At 03:54 PM 24/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>At 4:54 PM -0400 10/23/04, Don wrote:
>>>I've never bothered to measure the 1st partial after an attempt to set the
>  >>unison at the 7th partial using an etd. The aural results are what matter,
>  >>and those, to my ear, were unacceptable.
>  >
>  >Which would tend to imply that when a unison on such note *is*
>  >satisfactory to you, the 7th may still be beating.

"may" "is" not the final word. So the unison in my question was one
which you *would* judge satisfactory (unlike the unisons mentioned in
your post). In this satisfactory unison, would both the 1st and 7th
partials clean of beat rates?

Or was the "satisfactory" rating based on something other than the
elimination of beat rates?

An explanation for why the "results, to your ear, were unacceptable"
would help.

If I seem to split hairs, it's so that this discussion can teach us
all as much as there is to learn.