65 Chevy 3/4 ton truck with one man piano loader for sale, cheap.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:36:03 -0700 (PDT)

No photos today. But I got the idea from a  picture in
Harvey Roehl's "Player Piano Treasury".
Basically, I removed the old "fleet" style bed and put
a new metal platform over the cross braces, between
the wheel wells. Onto this is welded 2, 2" wide by 1"
high channels to form tracks from the front of the bed
to the rear.
 Next, a metal platform on 4 big casters which holds
the platform above the wheel wells is placed on the
tracks, and an electric winch up towards the cab.
    The platform rolls out the tracks until the
rearmost casters hit metal stops. At this point a
couple of feet of platform are hanging out over the
rear bumper. Letting out more cable allows the
platform to go verticle, and a couple of pieces of big
angle protruding at the bottom go under the piano.
Then a strap is put under the keybed and attached to
the platform sides. Press a button and the whole
affair is sucked onto the truck and snugged against a
stop toweards the cab. The piano rides on its back and
can be seen over in the rear-view mirror. I moved
about 40 pianos with this, alone
( provided someone got them to the truck with me! )
Great for snagging "porch pianos" on the fly.
    Thump