How We sense : "a total and complete ear opener".

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:17:39 +0200

Wow,

What a post andr=E9 !! it is really clear.

My teacher who was a Concert Yamaha tech used to compare the coarse =
sounding unison as two parallell lines never crossing, going further and =
further.
I was taught really early (since my 2nd year of apprenticeship) to =
control my left hand as much as possible, banging normally, to always =
hit the key with the same power, keeping the hand in the same position, =
even always pressing the key with the same finger in order to produce =
the same tone on every note.

That's why I like to put a felt strip on all the medium and treble, make =
the temperament, tune octaves, and finally tune the unisons one by one, =
concentrating only on the tone. When we tune like that, we can focus =
easier than when we tune the octave (muting the left string) and then, =
tuning the middle and finally the right string.

This way of muting all the piano helped me to get a "rythm" to tune =
octaves, and at last the unissons, because we can make a serial work of =
octave, and unissons.
And concentrate on one thing at a time.

BTW,why the 4ths with pure 5ths can drive us nuts? Does it create a =
problem to make a properly balanced tuning?

Quentin