Re-ribbing an olde board

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:05:18 -0000

Hi Joe,

Some people find the aging of sounboard wood and when it  turnes  to =
stone (what you call petrify) as a sign of quality.
I was thinking about the cristal soundboard wich is also a verry hard =
material ?
Personally, I like verry much the sound of several old pianos with =
original soundboards dating from around 1840 - 45.
The sustain is verry good and the sound is rich.
I don't think it is always necessary to replace those boards.

Pierre Gevaert
Belgium=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 1:46 AM
  Subject: Re-ribbing an olde board

  Yes, I changed the subject.<G>
  The one thing that gets me to NOT want to do a re-ribbing of an olde =
board, is the fact that wood does age. Forget the compression factor for =
now. Let's just consider this: In the aging process of wood, it loses =
it's cellular cohesion/bonding. At some point, this aging process =
creates what is known as Brash Failure. If wood is kept in a consistant =
environment, it will eventually turn to stone, (ie petrify). The Brash =
Failure occurs about half way to the petriying stage.=20
  Most of us have run into the action w/parts that defy repair. These =
actions are in the first stages of Brash Failure. The best way to =
explain how the wood reacts is: a new shank/dowel, when broken will =
splinter. One with Brash Failure will break cleanly, as if it were sawn. =
I've seen this problem on parts that were less than 50years olde, so =
there's really no way of telling when this will occur.
  So, back to the boards....I feel that there is no way of knowing how =
much more time the wood, of the sound board will have, so I'm very =
reluctant to re-rib a board, even though it is an intriguing =
idea/technique. I think, that if I'm going to go to all the trouble to =
take a board out, then I'll improve on what was there originally, if I =
can.
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police