new ribs and treble trouble

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:57:43 +0100

antares wrote:

>     There is nothing really to keep you from using an old panel in a
>     new design. Both ribs and bridge can be removed. The only thing an
>     old panel seemingly can not be used for is a compression crowned
>     soundboard, as the panel is already maxed out in that regard. But
>     if you are installing a rib crowned board, its just dandy.
>

> However, to my ears an older and more brittle soundboard does sound
> different than a new one.

I agree really.  And there are some basic enginering things that should
point in that direction as well.  Increased stiffness of the unribbed
panel with age, and, if we are to believe a few studies on the matter, a
significant (however small or large) increase in the velocity with which
sound travels through older wood.  Ribbed crowned and compared to a
similiar panel with new wood... it should indeed have a different
resonant frequencies series, and hence sound different.

> I think the old board has lost a lot of juice and what remained has
> more or less crystallized, so their is definitely a difference between
> old and new.
> Now indeed, that does not have to be bad, but I think it is more a
> matter of choice.

AHH !! and there you have the true crux of the matter.... which boils
down to the subjective, and very very well within what should (IMHO) be
the parameters of very good piano sound for just about everyone.

> I just finished my voicing work on the Steinway you and Arnold and I
> worked on together.
> That is an older Steinway I think from the 1920's and I must tell you
> that this Steinway O sounds truly amazing indeed.
> Pretty soon, the big Blüthner will be ready, Arnold is installing a
> new soundboard on that one and I am dying to hear it and will let you
> know how that story ends.

I can see its soon time for me to take another visit down south :)

> nevertheless, I think I will warn our mutual Nippon friends that they
> should make you suck a rock too this time. I want to see you come back
> a learned but battered man hehehehe....

Not too worry.... they have it all schemed out already !  I am informed
they have the knifes and machetes all sharpened and ready to cut.... but
then I have a few secret weapons I am going to spring on them...
diversionary tactics !!  hehe.. Seriously tho... I'm going to have great
fun, learn much, be very challanged with what I do know, work very hard,
and never regret a second or a penny.

> (;
> EAR
>
> friendly greetings