tuning 'notes'

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:32:06 +0200

On 22-okt-04, at 17:41, David Andersen wrote:

>> SO: we need to be at the same place, at the same time, and each tune=20=

>> the
>> same piano, and let the fun begin. Maybe I can think of a way to make=20=

>> that
>> happen out here in fabulous SoCal...
>>

>> That would be fun, for sure.
>> But.... you know, I do not think that will work, because it is not so=20=

>> much a
>> contest between your tuning or mine, but a contest between two highly=20=

>> trained
>> technicians who may aim for the same, but can never be compared to=20
>> each other
>> because we are talking about two totally different individuals.
>

> Who said anything about a contest? I truly don't feel in competition=20=

> with
> you or anyone like you;

Well David, I used the word contest because that's what I thought you=20
meant.
I actually never liked contests because there is always a winner and=20
always a loser.

> I only want to learn more and more about how to make
> pianos sing.  I think we would both be surprised at how close our=20
> systems
> get us to the "ideal" tuning for the piano we're working on.  It would=20=

> be
> fascinating to listen to our similarities and little differences, all,=20=

> for
> me, in the spirit of collegiality and deep respect.  I just think it=20=

> would
> be a hell of a lot of fun.

Sounds just great!

>> The difference starts between your ears and mine, or, more correctly,=20=

>> you
>> hearing facilities and mine, or, your individual perception of sound=20=

>> and mine.
>> I have noticed that, although this is very subtle,  the way unisons=20=

>> sound
>> varies from tuner to tuner. That in itself makes our tunings=20
>> different to
>> start with.
>

> Ooohh, let's check it out!

>> Then there is the conception of how to stretch on either side of the=20=

>> keyboard.
>> The way you stretch your 'story' depends not just on beats per=20
>> second, but
>> first of all on your individual temper, your personal speed and your=20=

>> personal
>> musicality.

> Exactly true. Just know that I'm hard at work scheming on ways to get
> together and play with a piano or two.....OK?

Get a bunch of nice techs together and I am sure it will work out=20
really terrific.
let's wait and see what the piano deities have to say about this.

> With affection,
>
> David Andersen

likewise,
EAR