poxy on soundboards and seminar in Bruxelles

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:31:27 +0100

Ahem ahem... I think you are refering more to those of our past patients
that have suffered rather serioius encounters with extremes of climatic
situations and have had all or part of their soundboards turned inside
out. Yes... I will go along with you there... a trashed board is a
trashed board.

But compression set alone doesnt cause this IMHO.  A panel can also live
a wonderful climatic life and see its panel slowly compressed to near
flat, with little remaining upwards push on the strings.  These can
sound very nice indeed and I know for sure there are a whole heck of a
lot of people out there that agree.

On the side... I just got done re-reading  this Finish study on wood
ageing done in conjunction with a company developing a thermal process
for ageing of wood for use in musical instruments.  This, and a few
other resources state that as wood ages it in itself tends to get
stiffer... eventually to the point of being brittle.  So, while its true
that a soundboard assembly will loose some of its stiffness as a result
of years of compression set, its also true that it will gain some of
that as part of getting old.  But more to the origional point... since
the subject was the removal of origional ribs for recrowning of the
panel itself via the rib crowning method... it would seem to me that
such an old panel would be stiffer then a similiarilly rib crowned new
panel where all else is equal.  Then too.. since the old panel has had
years of exposure to climatic change and compression set has lessened
its ability to react to climatic changes... it  would seem that it
should result in a more stable soundboard assembly.

PLUS... the only cost is the cost of careful removal from the
instrument. As I've said several times... I've seen a few fellow over
here demonstrate how to do this, and I've done it twice myself on
squares now.... and its really not such a big deal.

Personally... I dont really see a down side to all this... :)

Cheers
RicB