tuning mechanics

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:12:03 -0400

>I have a good variety of pinblock scraps lying around my shop. Delignit
>pinblock ,,,,
>So, curious minds want to know though...... wazzup?

Stupid me...posting the request then going away so I couldn't follow
up the responses.

To answer the last part, Terry, about wazzup here...I'd like to have
the pieces to construct sample pinblock/tuning pin arrangements for
experimentation. I have some senior undergrad students working on
investigating tuning mechanics and it would be good if they have an
accurate set up to do their testing. We have the equipment here to
generate some interesting data on the tuning process. Pieces of
off-cut delignite from a pinblock and other common materials will be
set up to take tuning pins and hold a string under tension in a
monochord arrangement.

I plan to extend the work to cover the overall physical process of
tuning, ncluding the biomechanics of the tuner's arm, operating the
tuning lever etc. - one of the students would like to continue next
year as  a grad student and work on that, if I can find some student
support funds for them.

We're getting lots of funds for our lab to support the equipment side
of the equation  - latest results (scroll down about halfway):
http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/  That federal grant actually
expands to $300K worth of equipment dedicated to the piano lab here.
Now we really need to boost the grad student support side of things
so we can get the bodies in place to do the research. ...

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115