Epoxy on soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:33:31 EDT

Andrew
  Makes sense to me
   .  Certainly we can't prevent moisture movement in wood (I doubt that
would  such a good idea anyway), but we can slow the rate and thus flatten out
some of  the swings the soundboard experiences.

All of the soundboards I have applied epoxy to have had crown, flat  boards
get replaced.

 As it should be

I use System Three Epoxy.  The surface condition is usually pretty  rough
after drying and I sand it and coat it with lacquer and rub it out to a  satin
(usually) finish.

  You mean rough after the epoxy application?  Right? then lacquer.

I have never warmed the epoxy to improve flow, but I think I will try  that
the next time.
 Definitely

I have been debating with myself over the wisdom of using epoxy as a  sealer
on a new soundboard.  Any thoughts on  this?

  I was just thinking about this. Why not. it's  an extra step but one that
could be very beneficial as long as the coating  wasn't too thick.
   Dale

I hope that helps some.

Andrew Remillard