Epoxy on soundboards

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:19:28 -0700

Epoxy is sensitive to ultra violet light.  Even the best laid plans to
keep UV light away from the board aren't always effective.  A spray coat
of lacquer or varnish with UV blockers is recommended by Del Fandrich in
the article he wrote on the subject.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 4:25 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Epoxy on soundboards

David Love said: "It doesn't much matter even if it dries with a flat
glossy film.  Epoxy
is UV sensitive so you still have to sand it (for adhesion) nd coat it
with a finish that has UV blocking or the epoxy tends to break down over
time.

David,
Huh?!!!!! UV should never be on a soundboard. (Period)!!!!  So, what the
heck is this all about? If you want to put a finish over the epoxy, have
at it! I think it is over-kill and may just un-do the effect you are
looking for, (better sustain/volume) Too much finish on a soundboard
will kill the sound. I've seen it many times. The worst being a
Polyester finish on a 9' Bechstein, rebuilt on the Euro Continent. That
was the deadest piano I've ever heard! Yikes!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I