Epoxy on soundboards

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:51:10 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> But the top of the epoxied panel won't be under tension - ever, will it?

I wouldnt take that for granted.  If its dried out and wedged up at the
same time it could feasably be in tension.  Its the least compressed
part of the pannel to begin with, and if  compression damage as
essentially caused it to be at an unstressed condition before wedging,
then it most definantly will be under tension.  Epoxy applied under
these conditions, dried and cured followed by the release of the wedges
could perhaps cause the epoxy itself to become slighltly compressed,
while leaving the top part of the panel under slight tension.

> It just won't absorb moisture and swell like it would without the
> epoxy, so, won't expand significantly.

I'd guess the same I think.

> The panel isn't being passively bent by humidity absorption, remember,
> it's the initiating source.
>
> Ron N

RicB